Welcome to our updated site with lots of opportunities for your input.The new website aims to provide a hub where public libraries and CALD communities can actively share information resources and programs to support culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
My Language is a joint partnership between the State & Territory Libraries of NSW, QLD, SA, VIC, WA, NT and ACT.
As a way of enriching Australia’s linguistic and cultural cyberspace, seven State and Territory Libraries created this portal in 2005 to enable people to search and find information on the internet in over 65 languages. Since then My Language has provided access to over six-million information links: search engines, web directories, government websites, digital library projects and syndicated news headlines.
My Language supports the social inclusion agenda of governments through building digital inclusion for CALD communities, especially with new technologies and Web 2.0 opportunities. As a result in 2010 an updated vision and new objectives marked a significant shift for the project as described below.
We will use information technologies to enable libraries to empower CALD communities to:
- Achieve greater social inclusion; and,
- Maintain and enrich cultural and linguistic identity.
- Build collaborative partnerships across all sectors to develop multilingual resources.
- Further develop My Language, implementing innovative solutions.
- Enhance access to diverse information resources in community languages.
- Understand and respond to the information needs of CALD communities.
- Value the role played by public libraries by supporting their delivery of multicultural services and
- Advocate for (the value of) digital and social inclusion for CALD communities.
Please send us back your feedback at the bottom of each page. Add your programs and events online and join in conversations across the site.